Sender:Pat Swovelin
Date/Time:2007-May-05 21:22:00
Subject:Re: My first cilindrical panoramas

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: My first cilindrical panoramas Pat Swovelin 2007-May-05 21:22:00
pau wrote:

First of all it's a spherical panorama not a cylindrical panorama (i.e.,
it's a ball and not a tube).  That's not intended as a rant just a
clarification of what you're shooting.

> Hola Jaume,
> I like a lot the first pano as the sky is still blue and the
> "atmosphere" is very clear. The farthener of the elements is great.
> Congratulations!
>
> pau valiente
> www.pau.cc
>

> El 15/03/2007, a las 10:03, bachnaturephoto escribi?:
>
>> Yesterday night I shot and stitch this two panoramas:
>>
>> http://www.vincles.net/360/index.htm

As Pau said, this is a great with some light still in the sky.

>> http://www.vincles.net/360/index2.htm
>>
>> They are the first cilyndrical panoramas I make. So I would appreciate
>> any comment.
>>
>> I have used a nikon d70s + nikkor 10.5 + Nodal Ninja as a tripod head.
>> 6 photos + 1 top + 1 bottom (in fact, two shots of each one, blended
>> with Photomatix)

With the 10.5 you only need to shoot 4+1+1.  6 is more coverage and also
more work that you don't need to do.

I see that you have the NN mounted on the normal head on the tripod.
The normal head's handle is going to give you extra work that you don't
need.  Assuming the head can't be removed from the tripod replace the
handle with a long screw to get the handle out of the shot.  With the
tripod on a level surface (e.g., your kitchen floor) level the NN head
and lock it into place with the screw (in the same way you'd level and
lock it with the normal handle).  Then when you get to the location it
will be level and you won't have to change it (but you can always carry
a screwdriver or a Leatherman
http://leatherman.com/products/tools/default.asp if you need to change
it later).

When you shot the nadir you tilted the camera straight down on the NN
and took the shot (which is why we can see the head).  Next time shoot
your around shots and the zenith shot ON the NN, then memorize where the
camera is (i.e., what it's directly over and how high it is) remove the
camera from the NN, move the tripod behind you, hand hold the camera in
the memorized spot and take the nadir shot.  Granted you were using a
slow shutter speed but for shots like this where you're above the grass
(or dirt or asphalt or etc.) the slight motion blur you'll have won't be
noticeable (take a couple of shots just to be sure).  I find that
holding the camera straight out in front of you is more wobbly than
holding the camera with one hand and putting a lot of tension on it by
holding the camera strap out with the other hand.  This turns your arms
and the camera strap into a triangle that's much more stable than merely
holding the camera straight out in front of you.  Before you take the
shot, take a deep breath, exhale and immediately shoot.  Don't take a
breath, hold it and take the shot because you'll be moving all over the
place.

Also in a situation like this where you're hiding the tripod in the dark
you can easily clone the hole in the nadir if the nadir shot is unusable.

>> Stitchet with PTGui. Converted to qtvr with Pano2Qtvr and to
>> fullscreen with Pleinpot.

Pano2QTVR creates fullscreen .MOVs and Thomas has sample .HTML pages you
can use to create one that fits your needs.

>> I have some doubts.. It would be great if anybody of the list coud
>> help me.
>> - Final equirectangular image sizes 4000 x 2000px. Is it enougt to
>> fullscreen panorama? Which is the better size.. ?

You should use 6000x3000 as a minimum size for a fullscreen panorama.

>> - I think imatges are not so sharp. I'd like to obtain a better
>> sharpness.. Which are the usual mistakes that decrease sharpness.. or
>> do you know how to improve it?

One of the reasons they're soft is because of the small equirectangular
image size.

>> - In large expositions, when hand held is not possible, is there any
>> way to shot the bottom photo?

Other than not having enough light why would hand held not be possible?
If it's really critical that you have it in crisp focus you can use
Hans' method http://www.panoramas.dk/quicktime/qtvr/nadir.html

>> - If soft like Photomatix is used, is better to blend separated images
>> before stitch, or first stitch and then blend the different exposured
>> panoramas?
>>
>> Thank you very much (and sorry by English mistakes)

You're doing great, don't even worry about it.

>> Jaume Llorens

Pat Swovelin
Cool Guy @ Large