Sender:Alessandro Ugazio
Date/Time:2007-Mar-15 12:50:00
Subject:Re: My first cilindrical panoramas

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: My first cilindrical panoramas Alessandro Ugazio 2007-Mar-15 12:50:00
> They are the first cilyndrical panoramas I make.

Cubic, not cilyndrical.
They're really beautiful, I like them!
My first cubic panos weren't so nice, particularily those taken at night...

> - Final equirectangular image sizes 4000 x 2000px. Is it enougt to
> fullscreen panorama? Which is the better size.. ?

I usually adopt these sizes:
<http://geoimages.berkeley.edu/wwp/practical/Sizes.html>

> - I think imatges are not so sharp. I'd like to obtain a better
> sharpness.. Which are the usual mistakes that decrease sharpness.. or
> do you know how to improve it?

Render at more than 6000x3000, but you'll need some RAM...

> - In large expositions, when hand held is not possible, is there any
> way to shot the bottom photo?

I usually do like this:
<http://www.ziouga.it/Come/Come.html>
(Click on the first two images)
This way I can also shoot tripod bracketed nadir shots.
Some Photoshop skill required to do "invisible" merging  :)

> - If soft like Photomatix is used, is better to blend separated images
> before stitch, or first stitch and then blend the different exposured
> panoramas?

I tried both (in Photoshop), and now I prefer merging bracketed shots before stitching
them, because it's easier to shift images if the camera slightly moved between shots (wind
or else).

Anyway, if you just need to do some tonemapping (for example, replacing burned lights
with the dark shots, or taking shadow areas from the light ones), I'd do like above.

If you want to generate .HDR files instead, you'll need to drop full renders (of differently
exposed shots) into Photomatix (well, I actually never used it, so I may be wrong).

> Thank you very much (and sorry by English mistakes)
>
> Jaume Llorens

Sorry for my english as well, I'm Italian...

Alessandro