Sender:Serge Maandag (yahoo)
Date/Time:2007-May-07 20:07:00
Subject:Re: My first cilindrical panoramas

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: My first cilindrical panoramas Serge Maandag (yahoo) 2007-May-07 20:07:00
> I did it a little different.. I tried to patch last shot before stitch..
> I mean, when you have masked out all pieces of NN, insert the free nadir
> in the place of the NN.
> I was thinking that it my have two advatatges:
> - you don't need to convert the free nadir from fisheye to rectilinear
> (is there any way to to it withou nikon capture? I don't know... but it
> increases the money effort)
> - you obtain a single stitched image that you can edit.. if you want to
> modify level colors, brightness, contrast, it's easier than doing it
> before stitch, and the result is more uniform..

well, sometimes it lines up really bad. Or you have a nadir with lots of
straight lines that really show if you've pasted some bad fitting patch in
there.

You can easily convert/extract a rectilinear image with the panorama
tools. You can use all of the front ends for that or use a 2 line script
for ptstitcher. The first time it looks scary, but once done it's a
breeze.

I usually stitch the entire image with the masked out nodal ninja.
I then extract the bottom 90x90 degrees rectilinear. I load that
rectilinear with the "handheld" nadir shot in ptgui, set some control
points and optimize the position, FoV and shift of the handheld shot.

Why? Well the optimizer is much better at lining up images than I am, so
this procedure is really rewarding.

I continue by generating a 90x90 degrees rectilinear with 2 seperate
layers from ptgui. I combine these by hand, making sure the edges are not
altered, because that's where the nadir has to line up with the original
equirectangular.

When done, I flatten, save and convert the rectilinear back to
equirectangular. I load that one in photoshop and stack it as a layer over
the original equirectangular. flatten, save and done.

> - you obtain a single stitched image that you can edit.. if you want to
> modify level colors, brightness, contrast, it's easier than doing it
> before stitch, and the result is more uniform..

That one escapes me, I must admit..

Serge.