Sender:Pierre MEINDRE
Date/Time:2008-Jun-09 10:06:00
Subject:Re: Don's essay on ELEVATION --> panorama from a large tower

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Don's essay on ELEVATION --> panorama from a large tower Pierre MEINDRE 2008-Jun-09 10:06:00
The result will not be perfect as parallax errors will be magnified by the size
of the building.
Try to take overlapping pictures from the four corners and, if possible, from
the middle of each sides. Be prepared to difficult stitching!

Here is a view I've taken from the Smith tower in Seattle. I was only possible
to shoot from the corners and with a lot of patient photo-editing I was able to
have this far from perfect result:
http://www.stereoscopie.fr/php/panoApplet.php?site=Voyages/NorthAmerica/...

(you may need to stitch back the above long URL! Java enabled computer needed)

Circular towers are easier! In the Space Needle (Seattle), I've taken a shot
every 5 or six windows
http://www.stereoscopie.fr/php/panoApplet.php?site=Voyages/NorthAmerica/...

The Coit Tower in San Francisco was even easier with its polygonal shape: I've
press the camera lens on each window (to avoid reflexion) to take a picture and
the stitching went smoothly:
http://www.stereoscopie.fr/php/panoApplet.php?site=Voyages/NorthAmerica/...

All pictures taken hand-held with a Sony V3 compact camera + wide-angle
converter.

Pierre Meindre (France).