Sender:Pat Swovelin
Date/Time:2009-Jul-02 21:14:00
Subject:Re: Flash suggestions

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Flash suggestions Pat Swovelin 2009-Jul-02 21:14:00
On 7/2/2009 1:31 PM, Bernhard Vogl's hamster got loose on the keyboard
and typed ...:
> First of all: thanks to Markus and all the others for the great work
> they've done with the WWP Site!
> I really appreciate the appearance of Flash as it allows me to see all
> the fine panoramas with all the computers i usually work with.
>
> I have 2 suggestions i'd like to throw in for discussion:
> - Use the "inertia mode" for a smoother experience. This would really
> add to the quality of appearance
> - Besides the option to use "real" fullscreen, it would be nice to offer
> the option to use the "drag mode" (or even use it as default mode). The
> reason is, because many people that are new to panoramas are not used to
> the "VR mode". Drag mode is more logical and makes navigation much
> easier. Google is also using the drag mode as default (Street view,
> Google Earth...) and all people i've asked like this mode more.

So because Google has reversed the world wide standard we have to follow
suit?

No way.

How is drag mode more logical?  With every slider and in ever OS on the
planet (including every page served up by Google and every one of their
programs) you drag in the direction you want to go.

Drag mode is contrary to everything we do in computing.

To follow what Google is doing is like when you came home from school
and said "But, Mom, *everybody* is playing on the freeway."  And you
know how far that got you.

> - Maybe it is possible to use JPEG-quality guess during conversion. I
> know that many people - including me ;-) - spend some amount of time
> to find the best tradeoff between quality and image size. E.g., for my
> submission (
> http://www.worldwidepanorama.org/worldwidepanorama/wwp609/fullscreen/Ber...
>
> ) i have optimized the panorama to make the inscription above the
> "Urania" entry readable.
>
> Best regards
> Bernhard

Pat Swovelin