Sender:yuval_levy
Date/Time:2009-Nov-07 22:32:00
Subject:Re: Which stitching software to choose ? ????

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Which stitching software to choose ? ???? yuval_levy 2009-Nov-07 22:32:00
--- In #removed#, John Riley <johnriley@...> wrote:

> On Nov 5, 2009, at 1:29 AM, yuval_levy wrote:
>
> > > In any case, the purpose of my post was to praise Hugin.
> >
> > sorry, it is difficult for me to see praise. To me it looks more
> > like flattery.
> >

> Wow, Yuval, that seems like an awfully harsh description for my saying:
>
> >> All I can say is WOW!
> >> Hugin has made an enormous leap forward in many ways. The detection I
> >> got with the the Panomatic plugin was great; the control point
> >> cleaner
> >> was very helpful and accurate; optimization proceeded smoothly; and
> >> the rendering was good, if a bit slow. Hats off to all who
> >> contributed to the improvements.
>
> I was sincere in what I said and I am hurt that you feel I was not.

It pains me to see my words taken out of context. I was describing the whole Joe Blow discussion / suggestions. The above paragraph was long gone.

> > > I suggested making a concerted effort to create binaries
> >
> > what I read is a sugar coated request to make the "concerted
> > effort". Over the past three months I had such "concerted
> > efforts", supporting users in building binaries for
> distribution.
>

> Hey, I was only making a suggestion of what would increase the
> audience of Hugin.  I think it deserves wider exposure.

And I was only making the point why I'm not inclined to follow those suggestions. If you're interested in increasing the audience of Hugin, you are free to do it; and if what you do makes sense to others, they will follow you and support your initiative.

> I was making the
> assumption that there were project leaders of some sort who might
> be interested in Hugin achieving wider recognition.

This is *Free* software. Free as in Freedom. It does not have nor does it need Chief Excerebrose Officers and other self-proclaimed leaders or conspiracy therrorists.

Every single individual contributing to Free software is a leader. If what they do make sense, others will follow their example.

> Sometimes it is hard to realize that most people aren't as capable
> of doing something you might be.

Just because I'm not capable of doing something it does not give me the right to demand that you do it for me for free.

> I do wish I could build a binary installer for freshman physics!!!
> That would be great, but will have to remain in the realm of
> sci-fi for now 8-)

I wish it will stay sci-fi forever. Already now we see the consequences of a whole generation of "engineers" who have learned to rely on computers without understanding the underlying principles and calculations. A binary installer is a shortcut and it comes with a price. Without understanding for the underlying systems, processes and principles, the binary installed physics freshmen will be very dangerous once unleashed as "experts" on the real world.

No hard feelings.

cheers
Yuv