Sender:John Riley
Date/Time:2009-Nov-04 02:29:00
Subject:Re: Which stitching software to choose ? ????

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Which stitching software to choose ? ???? John Riley 2009-Nov-04 02:29:00
Hi Yuval,

I can't go on at length, but it is good to hear from you.  I hope you
didn't take my posting as criticism rather than a helpful suggestion.
You do seem to worry that folks are looking for a "free ride", so they
should have to earn the use of the software through sweat equity.  I
am only saying that Hugin will be marginalized if Joe or Josephine
Blow have to go through what can be a maddening process (it sure was
for me when I last tried to get Hugin compiled a year or two ago.
Maybe I am stupid, LOL, and YMMV.)  Making it more accessible would
increase its visibility, which could get more people interested in
contributing - a self-reinforcing cycle.  It doesn't seem unusual for
open-source projects to have binaries available.

In any case, the purpose of my post was to praise Hugin.  I suggested
making a concerted effort to create binaries because I think it
deserves a much wider audience than those who are willing and/or able
to build it from source.  I can appreciate not having the equipment
necessary to build a binary.  Thanks for letting me know about the
exclusion of creating installers for GSOC workers.  I wouldn't have
guessed that to be the case.

PS - I took my huge print from the Libre Graphics meeting with me to
the IVRPA/IAPP meeting in Albuquerque.  I showed it as part of my talk
and left it up as part of the exhibition.  I think people liked the
look of the pano printed on canvas.  Thanks again for all your hard
work in organizing the prints for the LG meeting!

Cheers,

John

John Riley
#removed#