Sender:John Riley
Date/Time:2009-Nov-03 18:28:00
Subject:Re: Which stitching software to choose ? ????

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Which stitching software to choose ? ???? John Riley 2009-Nov-03 18:28:00
This thread led me to give Hugin another try.  All I can say is WOW!
Hugin has made an enormous leap forward in many ways.  The detection I
got with the the Panomatic plugin was great; the control point cleaner
was very helpful and accurate; optimization proceeded smoothly; and
the rendering was good, if a bit slow.  Hats off to all who
contributed to the improvements.

Just a couple of things would probably greatly expand the adoption of
Hugin.  The typical person considering trying out Hugin would likely
say to hell with it and run away screaming after going to the
Downloads page and reading: "Please don't ask us for binaries / pre-
compiled versions. We believe that if a group of users of a specific
platform feels the need, they will eventually produce them."  Most
people wouldn't have a clue what "binaries" are and telling them they
have to compile it themselves is an impossible task.  Though I am sure
it is not intended that way, this statement comes off as an arrogant,
"read the f*&^ing manual" attitude.  Joe Blow wants to go to the
download page, click on the version for their system and get either an
installer or a complete application to copy to their Application/
Programs folder.  Joe doesn't want to participate, write up things for
a wiki, etc; he wants to try out the software!  People who are
interested in development will do so, while others get on with things
and tell everyone how great Hugin is!

I use quite a few open-source applications on Mac and Linux.  The odds
of my trying something out are increased by at least a factor of 10 if
there is a binary available, and I am a fairly sophisticated computer
geek.  I have to really, REALLY want to use something to go through
the hassle of getting it compiled, with all the dependencies and
complications that typically ensue.

It would be great to have a set of "Download Now" buttons for each
platform on the main page.  Understand that my comments are meant to
be constructive, not critical.

John

John Riley
#removed#