Sender:G. Donald Bain
Date/Time:2005-Jan-22 02:11:00
Subject:Re: viewing a QTVR from a projector on a screen

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: viewing a QTVR from a projector on a screen G. Donald Bain 2005-Jan-22 02:11:00
Janet,

i assume by virtual tours you mean panoramas, as featured on the WWP
site. i do this all the time for classes, so here are some tips.

You need a digital projector and a computer, usually a laptop. You are
really just substituting a big projected screen for a regular one.

Be sure the computer you are going to use has the right software
(QuickTime, for example) and enough processing power to smoothly pan
the size images you will use. To be safe use your own computer.

Don't try to do panos directly  from the web or a server, download them
all to the computer first. Less risk of delay or failure.

Carefully adjust the color on the projector with the computer you will
use. Most projectors are used for nothing but Powerpoint and you may
find the color is terrible until adjusted. Color profiles and color
matching are rare on projectors.

Try to get a projector with a resolution of 1024 by 768 pixels (the
highest commonly available on portable projectors) - when projected ten
feet wide you will need all the resolution you can get.

Produce your panoramas as fullscreens, enough resolution to look good
at that size.

Forget PowerPoint, it may handle a few small panos but will choke and
die after two or three fullscreens. I use QPict for a simple slide
show. Make your title slides in Photoshop to the exact size you will be
projecting (1024 x 768 px) and save them as jpegs.

Scout the room you will be using and be sure the screen will not be
struck by light from a window or door. Keep the room lights (especially
near the screen) as low as possible. Big bright panos in a dark room
are terrific, but washed out by ambient light they are disappointing.

And a final note, warn people they may experience vertigo, but it will
go away if they just close their eyes. This is more important with
older people. In any case, pan slowly and steadily. Don't feel you need
to go all the way around every pano. Create the pano with the best
starting direction and rotate slowly through everything that is
important.

Good luck with your presentation.