Sender:Roger Howard
Date/Time:2006-Jun-16 15:11:00
Subject:Re: Public Liability Insurance to Take Photos in Australian National Parks?

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Public Liability Insurance to Take Photos in Australian National Parks? Roger Howard 2006-Jun-16 15:11:00
On Jun 15, 2006, at 11:30 PM, Colin Mackenzie wrote:

> I was in Australia in February and took many photos including panos.
> Was in at least one National Park.
>
> I didn't know anything about such regulations. Maybe ignorance is
> bliss.
It certainly can be :) I think I mentioned on another list a run-in I
had in the Joshua Tree National Park last year with the Rangers. They
suspected I was shooting professionally (I wasn't) and were ready to
cite me for not having a permit. After convincing them I was just a
heavily-equipped amateur we talked about the permitting and it's just
a mechanism to protect the parks from big commercial shoots swooping
in without permits or insurance, damaging the park, obstructing
visitors and otherwise being a nuisance. They are quite willing to
issue permits for commercial work, but if you don't get the permit
then you're taking a risk both for being ticketed and for shouldering
liability if anything happens. But if you're just there as a photo-
happy amateur, you don't need a permit, just common sense!

-R