Sender:Uri Cogan
Date/Time:2008-May-22 04:11:00
Subject:Re: Mr. Petra petition

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Mr. Petra petition Uri Cogan 2008-May-22 04:11:00
lulviz wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I personally think that Mr. Petra petition is a good opportunity to
> show more of the WWP community development and activity, in this sense
> is a very good thing.
> Obviously the possibility of use of this great gallery of interactive
> panoramic photography has to be under the explicit assent of its
> authors, this been done in a individual or in a collective manner.

Yes. Ms. Petra Kaiser (Petra is a female name) had been made aware of
the requirement for explicit assent. I don't believe there should be any
compromise on that.

The request from ZKM is signed by a Mr. Brend Lintennann, Head of the
ZKM I Institute for Visual Media, so he may be the one to talk to.

> Its important that the corresponding credit including a link to its
> respective web page (if it has one) is given to any use or publication
> of the Author work made by this project.

They appear to mention credit; see their letter below.

That letter came in the form of three separate Adobe Acrobat documents
(.pdf) saved as images (?), so I had do screenshots of the images and
OCR them to extract the text. The consent form however was attached as a
.doc file.  Here is the extracted text from the .pdf files:

-----------------

To the Members of the World Wide Panorama Project

Karlsruhe, den 08.05.2008
Institut f?r Bildmedien Durchwahl / Ext.: -1500
E-Mail: image?zkm.de

We are addressing you on behalf of the ZKM I Center for Art and Media in
Karlsruhe, Germany, http:/Iwww.zkm.de ("ZKM"). ZKM is a public cultural
institution that focuses on contemporary and especially on media art. At
the ZKM an artistic research project has been conducted in cooperation
with the University of Konstanz. The project was funded through the
Information Technology Funding Program of the federal state of
Baden-Wuerttemberg. The project explores new forms of visualizing
satellite image data.

The project entitled "Globorama" is a Panorama Screen, measuring 8m in
diameter and 2.8m in height. The environment was implemented to display
interactive panoramic movies via 6 projectors. The material that can be
displayed includes 3 D animations and 360 degree video footage. The
project explores innovative forms of the representation of satellite
images which in addition serve as a basis for creating new information
spaces by integrating site-specific information from the Web that can be
accessed and navigated by the visitors of the installation..

The goal was to enable the users to travel the entire globe by means of
a laser pointer. To experience not only a bird's eye view of the globe
respectively to see different locations from different heights, but to
be able to explore the chosen location, the researchers and artists
developed a prototype of the installation that makes it possible to
include panoramic images from the web.

We are addressing you because you contributed to the World Wide Panorama
Project with one or several images. We are aware that the copyright of
all images lies with the individual photographer.

However, the developers of "Globorama" would like to integrate to their
prototype version pictures from the World Wide Panorama Project to
explore the feasibility of the application developed. For this purpose,
it will be necessary to store the images on a server at the ZKM. Please
note, that the images will be used for the Globorama' Project only. The
ZKM will present this project as part of different international,
non-commercial exhibitions, such as the ideenPark 2008". This first
exhibition will take place in Stuttgart, beginning on May 17, 2008.

In the installation, the users will be able to click on icons, which
will then open the image of the respective location. Along with this
icon, a notice of copyright [C] will appear, including the title of the
image and the name of the photographer.

We'd be highly grateful if you would consider favorably our request, and
thus contribute to the project, which would enable users to experience
other users' resp. a communities views and experiences of a thus
personalized location. Please be informed that we assume your consent,
if we do not receive any comment from your side.

We would highly appreciate to have your consent in writing and have thus
prepared the form attached to this letter. We kindly invite you to fill
out the form and send it to ZKM via fax or via Mail (pdf-Format). In
case you do not consent to ZKM's use of your images displayed in the
WVVPP and do not want to contribute to the "Globorama" Project, we also
invite you to fill out the form. Should you explicitly contradict to the
use of your image, ZKM assures that the image will be banned from the
project.

We'd be more than happy to answer any further questions you might have
with regard to the project, and are looking forward to hearing from you.

With kind regards and thank you very much for your cooperation,
Brend Lintennann Head of the ZKM I Institute for Visual Media