Sender:Bjørn K Nilssen
Date/Time:2006-Mar-24 11:36:00
Subject:Re: Raynox DCR-CF185PRO( was Another introduction)

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Raynox DCR-CF185PRO( was Another introduction) Bjørn K Nilssen 2006-Mar-24 11:36:00
On 23 Mar 2006 at 8:22, Wim Koornneef wrote:

> >As there are now other posts here with more
> >positive experiences with that lens
> >I was wondering if the problems reported by you and others could be caused by
> >the lens on your camera, inside the CF, and that some combos perform better
> >than others?
>
> I have some new info about this issue. Off-forum
> I discussed with a member that has pretty good
> results with the 185Pro. It turned out a fixed
> wide angle lens on a DSLR is used as basic lens.
> I guess this math about distortions does the
> trick: barrel (wide
> angle)+pincussion(185Pro)=neutral result.
>
> So if you have a fine basic lens then you can
> expect problems. My Panasonic has a very fine
> Leica zoomlens with little distortion so that
> could be the reason why this lens is not working
> for me and for many other people. But if you have
> a wide angle lens with more barrel distortion
> then maybe the 185Pro can work for you. There are
> in fact also reports on this forum that it can
> work. Perhaps we now know why it is sometimes
> working. But this is my best guess, not science
> ;-)

Maybe I should try to shoot some panos with only the base lens then (28mm) All
my tests have been with the Olympus 0.7X converter (18mm). I guess I'll need a
lot more shots for a 360/180 with a 28mm lens...
It typically gives me 0.02/-0.02/0.06 for a/b/c and 6/-11 for Shift (if I use
that).
I think it may be worth a try to get this lens? If not for panos, then anyway
it should be useful for its ultra-wide abilities?
-- #removed#   //  Bj?rn K?re Nilssen http://bknilssen.no/
   Kristiansand, Norway