Sender:Bjørn K Nilssen
Date/Time:2006-Mar-22 13:04:00
Subject:Re: Raynox DCR-CF185PRO( was Another introduction)

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Raynox DCR-CF185PRO( was Another introduction) Bjørn K Nilssen 2006-Mar-22 13:04:00
On 22 Mar 2006 at 13:15, Hans Nyberg wrote:

> > more freedom. And as long as I can still shoot 2-300 pictures on a
> > battery
> > charge I'm happy with that.
>
> You do not really need to even look through the viewfinder when doing
> panoramas.
> Your pano head will take care of that.
> A battery on a DSLR can shoot 600+ as new
> And I can assure you when you have used it 6 months and you have to
> shoot at zero degrees you will be happy that you do not have an LCD
> using the battery.

If I need to shoot more than 300 shots on a charge I can always turn off my LCD
and get 600 shots too. But I'm willing to sacrifice that because I find a LCD
view so much better. When I get a real panohead I might just as well turn it
off completely too for panos. But shooting for panoramas is only a small part
of what I shoot. Most of it are straight shots to be used for backgrund for 3D
renderings, and for making textures, as well as for photogrammetry purposes.
And I do shoot just fine down to -10C without problems. I get problems before
the camera do, although I can't shoot that many frames on a charge in the cold.
Only once have I emptied my battery, and that was when I was on the road for
several days with no electricity for charging.
But I don't know why we're discussing this? I've been in too many discussions
with diehard dSLR users. I have used both (used film based SLR for 25 years,
and almost exclusively digital cameras for the last 7), but now I prefer the
versatility of the LCD viewfinder. Most of the dSLR owners I've been disussing
with have never owned and used a good digital non-dSLR camera, so they don't
even know what they're missing.. I even sometimes use Eyetop video glasses with
an inbuilt monitor when the swivel LCD isn't enough :) So I'm afraid that
nobody will be able to convince me that I don't want/need a LCD viewfinder ;)

> >> And if you are  only interested in large resolution panoramas  without
> >> to many people in it you can do much better with multirow than with
> >> fisheye. A standard lens for example 18mm gives you a super resolution
> >> with 3 rows x 12.
> >
> > The problem is the other way around. I can shoot large panos with my
> > 18mm eqv,
> > or 28mm. What I want is to be bale to shoot smaller panos, but
> > possibly with
> > HDR. Shooting 3x12 rows would be 252 pictures to get a 7-exposures
> > HDR, which
> > is a bit too much..
>
> That is overkill
> With Raw you usually only need 2 exposures
> 1 for inside. 1 for the windows and lamps.

Maybe most of the time, but sometimes I would need that many exposures to be
able to make HDRs usable for lighting 3D scenes. They often need a very high
dynamic range to be able to cast convincing shadows..

-- #removed#   //  Bj?rn K?re Nilssen http://bknilssen.no/
   Kristiansand, Norway