Sender:Wim Koornneef
Date/Time:2006-Mar-22 08:28:00
Subject:Re: Another introduction

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Another introduction Wim Koornneef 2006-Mar-22 08:28:00
Hello Bj?rn,

53 year sounds to me as Young, especially after reading about your activities.

The main reason I reply to your introduction,
besides to just say "Hello Bj?rn" is to warn you
about the Raynox185Pro lens.

Its is a wonderful lens, sharp, low CA, low
flare, a huge angle (+190 degree useable) and
suited for many purposes but NOT, I repeat NOT
for making VR panos because the lens is not build
like a normal fisheye lens.
The distortion especially in the center is very
hard to correct with any PanoTools based
application.

I bought a Raynox185Pro and I tried it very hard
to get it working on a Panasonic FZ5, I even made
a custom build pano head to support the huge lens
(besides the lens distortions this is the only
negative issue of this fine lens) but at the end
I returned it to the vendor.

Definitely not useful.

I also tried the Nikon FC-E9 but although that
lens is a"normal" fisheye and working as expected
it is not half as crispy as the Raynox185 Pro. So
I also returned that lens as well.

I am now very happy working with a Sigma8 lens on
a DSLR camera. My advice, if you want to buy a
fisheye adapter lens, is to buy a Raynox180 full
frame fisheye. This lens is well suited for
making VR panos (6 round+1 up+1 down). You know
that Stitcher don't work with short fisheye
lenses ? You have to use a PanoTools based
application but the results will be fine.

I hope to see your work soon, best regards, Wim.