Sender:Wim Koornneef
Date/Time:2006-Mar-23 07:22:00
Subject:Re: Raynox DCR-CF185PRO( was Another introduction)

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Raynox DCR-CF185PRO( was Another introduction) Wim Koornneef 2006-Mar-23 07:22:00
Helo Bj?rn

>I tried to find the image you're referring to,
>but couldn't find it. Is there a
>URL to it?

I don't have it, all I know is that is an
official Raynox image on there example site

>And that won't happen with other fisheye lenses?

Much less, and hard to notice, of course other
lenses also need lens corections but on a other
scale (a/b/c/  less then 0.1, or even in the
0.00x range)

>As there are now other posts here with more
>positive experiences with that lens
>I was wondering if the problems reported by you and others could be caused by
>the lens on your camera, inside the CF, and that some combos perform better
>than others?

I have some new info about this issue. Off-forum
I discussed with a member that has pretty good
results with the 185Pro. It turned out a fixed
wide angle lens on a DSLR is used as basic lens.
I guess this math about distortions does the
trick: barrel (wide
angle)+pincussion(185Pro)=neutral result.

So if you have a fine basic lens then you can
expect problems. My Panasonic has a very fine
Leica zoomlens with little distortion so that
could be the reason why this lens is not working
for me and for many other people. But if you have
a wide angle lens with more barrel distortion
then maybe the 185Pro can work for you. There are
in fact also reports on this forum that it can
work. Perhaps we now know why it is sometimes
working. But this is my best guess, not science
;-)

>Thanks for sharing your experiences.
>I am still in the think box regarding this lens, as there apparently are
>different opinions/experiences.

Your welcome. Glad I can help.

Regards Wim.