Sender:Keith Martin
Date/Time:2008-Mar-07 11:51:00
Subject:Re: newbie [Was:]Themes!

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: newbie [Was:]Themes! Keith Martin 2008-Mar-07 11:51:00
Sometime around 6/3/08 (at 16:29 -0400) Eduardo Hutter said:

>You don't NEED to buy a 303 panoramic head. There is other ones out
>there, some cheaper, some more expensive, some better, some ridiculous
>worse, in fact, you don't have to buy a panohead at all. Of course,
>using one can make your work easier - sometimes - but nowadays
>stitchers/blenders do an amazing job correcting and leveling things.

But they can't do the impossible. From where I'm sitting, I can see a
chair eight feet away and a wicker box a couple of feet behind it. If
I move my head just one inch sideways the parallelax shift of the
chair legs relative to the wicker pattern is obvious.

Stitching software can't cure overlapping images with near/far
content that doesn't line up; something has to give, something has to
be a double-image ghost or be touched up by hand. That's precisely
what pano heads are designed to deal with.

You definitely don't need a pano head, as I tell my students. I
sometimes shoot hand-held, even just holding my camera over my head
in a bouncing crowd (see
http://www.panoramapostcards.co.uk/vr/system7.html for an example).
But, given the option, I always prefer to shoot with a good pano head
(see the other links at http://www.panoramapostcards.co.uk/).