Sender:Roger Howard
Date/Time:2005-Mar-14 23:34:00
Subject:Re: Just curious

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Just curious Roger Howard 2005-Mar-14 23:34:00
On Mar 13, 2005, at 8:20 AM, Mike Morper wrote:

> Hi Landis,
>
> Here is my two cents as to why folks may not participate (me included
> this round):
>
> Uninteresting subject matter/difficult shooting conditions
> Marketplaces in Southern California where I live are limited to strip
> malls, and a few huge malls like The Grove or South Coast Plaza. I
> recognize that folks from other parts of the world may find it
> interesting to see what these look like (at least the inside), but
> taking a tripod and gear to these places to take a picture is not
> practical. More times than not, the rent a cops at these places won't
> let you shoot (private property). Sure, you can do a handheld, but at
> low light conditions indoors, that ends up being (in my mind) a more
> difficult image to stitch, cleanup, etc. I don't have the time to pull
> that off.

Hey Mike, I'm in SoCal too... there are literally hundreds of awesome
"farmer's markets" every weekend around SoCal (I go to 4 or 5 different
ones regularly!)... there are also the various industrial markets
downtown (garment district, etc), in the port (fish markets!), and so
on. There's also different interpretations of marketplace that would
give you a lot of other options - a "meat market" (bar) on lady's
night... etc etc. Don't be constrained by living in a cutural
wasteland, there is still plenty of interest!

FWIW, I still haven't decided what the hell I'm going to shoot :)

Cheers... let's get together sometime (I think it's time for another
meet of the SoCal pano group).

-R