Sender:Bostjan Burger
Date/Time:2013-Feb-18 08:28:00
Subject:Re: quo vadis WWP?

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: quo vadis WWP? Bostjan Burger 2013-Feb-18 08:28:00
Hi Bryant at all,

to quote Don "This is still the official forum for discussion about WWP, Facebook is mostly to spread the word more widely and bring people in".
I passed the WWP thoroughly and it might be that I am old fashioned and I am thinking as a programmer not a designer but I can claim that WWP site is very well organized. But I have to admit (my personal thought) that it was mostly oriented to panoramic photographers, to invite them to contribute to events and not so much to present panoramas to general public although the popularity is not "that" bad (but can be much improved).

It won't be a "habit" but I am posting a recent discussion about WWP from Panoramic photographers FB:

	* Sam Rohn i would think that since WWP is already using krpano adding HTML5 support should be fairly trivial as krpano already supports html5 and will soon support webgl etc ? responsive design and mobile support are no longer just a fad and are practically a requirement these days, mobile is unquestionably growing and flash on mobile is kaput, and staying on top of all this is a drag, but thats life
Friday at 1:10am · Unlike · 3
	* Sam Rohn i just had a look at how WWP is displaying panos, it is using krpano.swf to display .mov files so to add HTML5 backward compatibility for all older panos would require batch decompiling the existing qtvr.mov files to cube faces, which is not trivial but should be doable
Friday at 5:24am · Like
	* Jürgen Schrader WWP started at a time where photographers were more than happy to see any of their panos published on the web at all. And since then never changed (besides changing the viewer from QTVR to Flash because else they would already be non existent).

To me the core problem of the WWP is that it completely ignores the behaviour and expectations of common visitors.

When you get to the site you will have a hard time to find out what it's all about, why a photographer should participate and how people could make use of it. Instead you get the impression it's a website built from navelgazers, only for their own entertainment.

Nobody needs or wants to know anything about QTVR and panoramas these days. What is the idea behind linking events to solstices?

The entrance is by no means attractive. If finally one comes to the conclusion that one wants to see the results of an event one has to
- click on the event
- click on the globe
- click on a list
- click on an entry
and click, and click, and click

I mean, who cares about a list of the names of photographers besides their mothers?

And why do I have to click on 26 letters of the alphabet to see all thumbnails? And this is only for one theme!

And this is just the beginning. I could go on showing you why and where the concept would need improvement to get the site out of the pit.
Friday at 11:21am · Edited · Like

:) Bo?tjan