Sender:rcfish
Date/Time:2008-May-12 20:37:00
Subject:Re: lens?

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: lens? rcfish 2008-May-12 20:37:00
Hi Marc
It sounds like your getting your info from someone who really doesn't
know panos.

On May 12, 2008, at 1:15 PM, Marc wrote:

> Since you are using an 18mm for your multi row panos you can confirm
> or otherwise the advice I have received. I have been told that if I
> use a 17mm lens it will take me all day stitching the panorama
> together, that there will be too many control points.
If you are using PTGui put in automatic and let it go. My work flow
is shoot with Nikon D200 with a 10.5mm fisheye. shoot 9 images, 6
around and 1 up and 2 down(to get rid of the pano head arm in PS)
With 8 images it takes about 1-2 minutes to generate control points
and about 4-6 min to render the finished equirectangular image at max
size. I have done panos with hundreds of images and it takes a few
hours but certainly not all day. I do all the manual work during the
day and render large images at night. With an 18mm rectilinear lens
you are going to have around 40 images, quick math in my head, to
stitch. this will make for a real high quality image, lots o'pixels.
But maybe too much for a novice to deal with. If you can afford to
get a 8mm sigma to learn with or a 10-17mm Tokina fisheye this will
take fewer images to complete a pano but you certainly can do it with
your 18mm lens. Start by getting PTGui, make some partial panos to
figure out the work flow and then add the remainder of the images to
make a full sphere.

If it seems too daunting of a task then just take baby steps, start
simple then add complexity as you become comfortable with the
technology. It can be complicated but it's not rocket science.

> Do you think that is true?
>
> I would like to get high quality images and would rather not buy
> another lens just now.
> I have been using CS3 for stitching but think I will get PtGui to do
> cubic panos for VR.
>
> --- In #removed#, "Rick Drew" <rick@...> wrote:
> >
> > Well, remember that the 40D has a 1.6 crop factor, so you'll need
> something
> > between 8mm and 12mm. Multiply these by 1.6 and that's the actual
> result. An
> > 8mm is closer to a 13mm and so on. I use a sigma 8mm for my
> quickie panos,
> > and an 18 mm for multi-rows with my 40D.
> >
> > Rick Drew

Cheers
Robert C. Fisher
VR Photography/Cinematography