Sender:Keith Martin
Date/Time:2008-Jun-01 12:03:00
Subject:Re: Creative Commons

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Creative Commons Keith Martin 2008-Jun-01 12:03:00
Sometime around 1/6/08 (at 12:42 +0100) Bruno Postle said:

>Actually the GPL is a copyright grant much the same as CC, basically
>giving the recipient of the work extra rights.
>
>In fact the 'creative commons attribution-share alike' licence is
>pretty much the same idea as the GPL.

True, I should have been more careful and clear. :-)
As you point out, GPL is similar to one of the various CC licences
(with the exception of including original source code along with the
derivative work, not possible in most non-code contexts), whereas
there are many different variations of CC licence available to choose
depending on your preferences as a copyright holder.

Also, as Mick demonstrated, GPL is also aimed at programmers and the
details aren't the easiest for a non-programmer to grasp.

>The way that flickr allows users to assign different CC licenses to
>photos would work very well with the wwp too - Though the default
>should be 'all rights reserved' as it is at the moment.

Yep. Which is a declaration of standard copyright. Which is already
shown on the WWP site in extraordinarily, I repeat Extraordinarily,
clear language!