Sender:Markus Altendorff
Date/Time:2006-Jul-18 16:57:00
Subject:Re: Nabble has nabbed our messages

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Nabble has nabbed our messages Markus Altendorff 2006-Jul-18 16:57:00
Richard Crowest wrote:

> Amidst all the rather more important discussion, excuse me for asking
> an unrelated question:
>
> Does anybody know anything about a web site called Nabble, and why
> it's set itself up as "an archive for the mailing list:
> #removed# com <mailto:wwp%40yahoogroups.com>. Messages posted
> here will be sent to this
> mailing list".
>
> http://www.nabble. com/World- Wide-Panorama- f15543.html
> <http://www.nabble.com/World-Wide-Panorama-f15543.html>
>
> It seems to have copies of our messages from around the middle of
> June. If you view the messages, each page has "(c) 2005-2006 Nabble,
> Inc." in the footer, which strikes me as a heck of a cheek. The site
> doesn't seem to have any connection with Yahoo, but does appear to
> also have an archive of the PanoTools list going back to June of 2005.

OK, i just found #removed# in our member's directory.
Not sure how they got in there. I vote we kick them out so
hard they need a satellite uplink to just receive a FAX...

This below i wrote a few minutes earlier:

This has already happened on the QTVR mailing list - there,
they've registered themselves to get a copy of the list
messages and pipe them into their database. I think Apple's
lawyers did put a stop to that - Apple's mailing lists
require logging in to access the archive, and one way or the
other, it seemed that Nabble violated at least a few usage
rules. (Really funny was their arguing that they do the same
thing for mailing lists like Google does for the web -
ooookay.... someone's obviously been smoking far too much of
these "Web 2.0" vapours to mix a public web site with a
password-protected members-only mailing list... ;)

Not sure what to do there - if i could afford it, i'd like
to sic some intellectual property lawyers their way... for
this quote from their website alone:
"This forum is an archive for the mailing list:
#removed# (info). Messages posted here will be
sent to this mailing list."

Excuse my french, but "WTF?"

Do they have an account on our group? If so (i guess we'd
have noticed if they did use their real name!), then how can
this work - are they forwarding THEIR member's mails under
their "pseudo" account into OUR group?

This is even worse than some annoying stranger crashing at
your party... but who's in charge to stop this? Is this a
Yahoo EULA breach thing? (Nabble's actually sneaking into
their groupware system under false pretenses, it seems - i'm
rather sure we didn't invite them!) Should/could Berkeley do
something about that? (what with Don and Landis being the
initiators of the group?)

With quite some pent-up anger and nothing to aim it at:
-Markus

(i'm off to the gym now... :)