Sender:Hans Nyberg
Date/Time:2011-Jan-06 21:34:00
Subject:Re: iPad can't see panos?

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: iPad can't see panos? Hans Nyberg 2011-Jan-06 21:34:00
On Jan 6, 2011, at 9:18 PM, Yahoo Account wrote:

> yes, I read about the new feature of krpano. And yes, I still need to look into
> how to make it work with the WWP. Since I'm still holding out for iPad 2, I lack
> the option to test it.
>
> From what I've understood so far, it's a Javascript-/HTML5-based approach. Need
> to see what kind of image data it needs, and how to integrate it with what we
> already have.

You can say there are 2 ways to do it.

1. you create special cubefaces for iphones and tablets (iPad)
These should be in 512x512 and 1024x1024
The 512 are actually not really needed as they are only for iPhone3

The problem is that ipad has a memory limit at  around 1100x1100  so  1024x1024 is the largest secure size.
Android tablets and smart phones which use flash can without problem see multirow panoramas in very large sizes.
I have panoramas with maximum cubefaces of 9192x9192 which perform perfect on my small 4" Android 2.2 Desire Z Smartphone.
This is only working with the tiled KRpano multisize flash version. Standard non tiled cubefaces crash at around 2000x2000
If you have a new Android phone with 2,2 you can try the Royal Birthday pano which is a 190 degree pano  20000 pixels wide and the Carl Bloch pano, which has max 4096x4096 cubefaces. They can also be seen on iPad and iPhones but in the reduced size without much zoom.

2. Because there is only a tablet tag which is used both for Android and iPad you have to do things another way to support the Android full size option.
Instead of providing the special tablet tag with 1024x1024  I make my panos with 512x512 pixels tiles in 3 or 4  or 5 levels so that you get the 1024x1024  in 4x4 tiles to be used for the iPad.
The Android tablets can just zoom in further to the max size.

To make this tiles you have automatic droplets  which you can configure with everything you need including navigation bar and html file.
So when you made your interface it is just dropping the equirectangular on it and you get a readymade  file to publish.

Only cubefaces is supported so you have to make full sphericals with extra black areas for partial panoramas and set limits.

Almost everything standard xml as used in the flash viewer is supported. We do not have  the videoplayer for putting videos inside yet but it will come  I sam sure
Here is as  Virtual  Tour which also can bee seen on iPhone-iPad-Android
http://www.360-foto.dk/stjakobs/

Everything you see on your desktop except for the popup text below the thumbs works exactly the same on the iPad.
Instead of the large zoom in on the third pano I added a popup image for the iPad so that you still get the altar painting in full resolutiuon.

Hans

Hans Nyberg
Panoramas.dk< http://www.panoramas.dk&gt;  Features Fullscreen 360 Panoramas from the best VR Photographers in the world
email:  #removed#