Sender:Hans Nyberg
Date/Time:2011-Jan-15 11:12:00
Subject:Re: iPad can't see panos?

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: iPad can't see panos? Hans Nyberg 2011-Jan-15 11:12:00
On Jan 14, 2011, at 10:14 PM, sirflor1 wrote:

> Every link (from Hans, Don and Ricardo) I have tried on my iPad and iPhone worked fine with iCab. Both landscape or portrait worked. No crash at all.
> Maybe I to do some more tests with load, reload, zoom in and out etc.

Ok I have done some experiments and found what causes this problem in iCab.

In Safari you have an option to save webpages in  a sort of tabs. In the user guide they call it Opening Multiple Pages, this may in some times depending on the website happen automatically or you can just hit the button in the menu.
It is maximized to 9 pages. One would assume that they would take up memory but that seems not to happen in Safari , I have tried to save 4 different panorama pages and several large frontpages with a lot of images but new panoramas still work perfect.

However in iCab the same function is called tabs and the button at the top is the same. You can also have a tab bar where they appear. The first I did was disable the tab bar but that does not disable the saving in background  even if I turned saving tabs in background off. Actually there is no limit in iCab so you can easy get 20 pages saved in it, and they just look very innocent as large white icons with no content.

Apparently they are still taking memory contrary to what happens in Safari, even just one or two panoramas opened in these tabs and the next one may crash especially they crash on the fullscreen button.

I also found the "bug" in Safari that causes the resize problem I described earlier when turning from portrait to landscape in Safari.
In the iPad General settings/Accessibility  settings there is a zoom setting. If you turn this on the resize problem with some panorama pages will start. But only in Safari which means to me that it is a CSS bug in Safari. The setting is a general setting so it should also affect other browsers.

And at last here is a tip for Safari fullscreen. If you use the Ad to Home Screen function on one of mine or others  ipad panoramas the page will open in fullscreen without menu just like in iCab. And you can just tap the fullscreen button on the page for real fullscreen just as a flash panorama. That means you can browse my pages through the popupmenu at the top right in Safari fullscreen ( I just need to update the menu and all my pages)

It seems to have something to do with the iPad compatible codes on the HTML page. Also Dons pano iPad pages behaves this way but none of my other pages do. They will open with the menu.

Hans

Hans Nyberg
Panoramas.dk< http://www.panoramas.dk&gt;  Features Fullscreen 360 Panoramas from the best VR Photographers in the world
email:  #removed#