Sender:Victor Zaveduk
Date/Time:2004-Mar-27 17:07:00
Subject:Re: My "work in progress" from Chicago ...

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: My "work in progress" from Chicago ... Victor Zaveduk 2004-Mar-27 17:07:00
Andrew,

Thanks for the comments/critiques.  I'll try pushing the file size down to
6000x3000.  I think I did try that earlier, but if I recall it felt like it
was about the same result as 7200 with a bit higher compression ... that is,
smaller image, less compression to show same detail level as larger image
with slightly more compression.  Still, it's worth trying again, especially
now that I have a few more options to play with.

No lack of RAM here.  :)  Somehow I suspect anyone with only 128 Mb of RAM
is probably going to be looking at lower res versions, not these that are
intended for full screen.  But, you've looked more closely than I have at
the work of others, and if 6000 is a common figure, then 6000 is what I'll
aim for.

Yes, the individual images are pretty well detailed, so it surprises me as
to how much softening appears in the viewer ... even at compression settings
of 100.

Tried setting compression to 1 for top/bottom.  No appreciable change in
size.  I guess the JPEG routines pretty much treated 100% black image the
same regardless of compression ratio.  Too bad, was hoping that one would
have a larger effect.

Thanks for all the comments ...

Victor