Sender:Ken Stuart
Date/Time:2004-Oct-05 17:19:00
Subject:Re: MultiMap

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: MultiMap Ken Stuart 2004-Oct-05 17:19:00
At 09:58 AM 10/5/2004, you wrote:

>I was also wondering about being too precise with our coordinates.
>[snip]
>Any other thoughts on this?
>
>-Landis

Hi Landis,

I'd prefer to have the coordinates shown as precisely as possible wherever
people have provided that information, and not to have deliberate
adjustments made. If anyone wants less precision, then they should enter
only what they want displayed. For cases where someone has not entered
anything at all, then your best approximation should be used.

The database ought to be able to look at the coordinates supplied and
automatically add "approx." to what appears on the web page unless seconds
are listed, in which case it shows the whole entry. In other words, show
the full precision unless the seconds are not included, in which case make
the web page say "approx. D degrees M minutes," and in cases where you
approximate, don't include seconds unless it's some known landmark that can
be precisely located.

-Ken