Sender:Joel M. Baldwin
Date/Time:2007-Mar-14 10:11:00
Subject:Re: Canon 70-300mm or Sigma 70-300mm zoom lens

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Canon 70-300mm or Sigma 70-300mm zoom lens Joel M. Baldwin 2007-Mar-14 10:11:00
--On Wednesday, March 14, 2007 10:15 AM +0100 Hans Nyberg <#removed#>
wrote:

> On Mar 14, 2007, at 6:56 AM, Joel M. Baldwin wrote:
>
>> DG lenses: Are only for use on Digital non full frame cameras.
>> The Sigmas will not work on the 5D.
>
> Sorry that is completely wrong.
>
> Sigma DG lenses are specially optimized for Digital and they are
> fully compatible with all cameras also fullframe.
>
> Sigma DC lenses  are specially made for 1.5 or 1.6 sensors but they
> will work on a 5D also.
> I have the 10-20mm and it works fine on my 5D however it does give
> vignetting of course.
>
> Canon does not have anything called DG.
> Their digitally optimized lenses only for small sensors are called EF-
> S and they do not work on a fullframe.
>
> Hans
>
> Hans Nyberg
> Panoramas.dk<http://www.panoramas.dk>  Features Fullscreen QTVR from
> the best VR Photographers
> email:  #removed#

My mistake.  I didn't realize Sigma had two 'Digital' lens lines.

Although I have to wonder what 'Designed to suite the special
characteristics of digital cameras.' means on a full frame lens.
Marketing hype over the use of the magic word 'DIGITAL'?  How is
it different from their other FF lenses?

Why would you want to use a vignette producing lens?  I would think
a DC or EFS lens would be useless on a 5D.
( yes it would produce an image )
Or are you using them to produce panos where you just set the crop
circle?