Sender:Joel M. Baldwin
Date/Time:2007-Mar-14 05:56:00
Subject:Re: Canon 70-300mm or Sigma 70-300mm zoom lens

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Canon 70-300mm or Sigma 70-300mm zoom lens Joel M. Baldwin 2007-Mar-14 05:56:00
--On Tuesday, March 13, 2007 10:28 PM -0700 Mahmood Rashid
<#removed#> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>   I want to shoot a high res building with zoom lens. I want to choose
> between canon and sigma. I have the follwoing questions. Any body has the
> answers. Your feedback is highly appreciated.
>   The building to be shot with 300 mm zoom and in small parts. Later the
> pictures to be stitched and make one high res pict. I have Nodal Ninja
> and 303 Plus head with Canon 300D camera.
>   1) Which one is best - Canon 70-300 mm or Sigma 70-300mm?
>   2) Is these lens can be used with 30D, 5D and Nikon D cameras.
>       Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG MACRO can be used for Canon, Nikon etc
>   3) Where is the nodal point for these lens.
>   4) Auto focus or manual focus to be used.
>   5) How important to use image stabliser (IS)
>
>   SIGMA
>   What is the differences between these two lens? The price difference is
> US$100 only.   70-300mm F4-5.6 DG MACRO
>   70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG MACRO
>
>   For review, please read this
>
> http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3304&amp;navi...
> =3
>
>   Regards,
>
>   Mahmood
>   Interactive Media, Dubai

Sigma vs Canon:  Get the Canon.  Sigma hasn't licensed the EOS lens
    interface.  This means that their lenses don't always work with
    all Canon EOS cameras.  Many people haven't have a problem,  but
    I have.  I've sworn off non-Canon lenses.

APO vs non APO:  As I understand it this means better glass or coatings
    in the lens.  I'd get the APO.  You're buying into the lenses/lens
    system, not the bodies.  Lenses are for life, bodies are until
    you get another/next/better/next model.  Get the best lenses you
    can afford, or that are in line with your seriousness to the craft.

DG lenses: Are only for use on Digital non full frame cameras.
    The Sigmas will not work on the 5D.