Sender:G. Donald Bain
Date/Time:2007-Feb-20 16:13:00
Subject:Re: Panoramas and Google Earth

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Panoramas and Google Earth G. Donald Bain 2007-Feb-20 16:13:00
Yuval,

Good points, I have also been fustrated at the poor display of "real"
panoramas on Google Earth.

First they put us down under a misleading approximation of our name
(WorldwidePanoramas-wuz, should be The World Wide Panorama).

Then the sudden appearance of this Panoramio stuff. Are any of them
panoramic? The ones I have looked at vary widely in quality and
value, and some of the subject identifications are just plain wrong.

What I would like to see is a top level category for "VR Panoramas",
which would be reserved for collections of true 360 panoramic images.
First among these would of course be our WWP. It is a perfect match
of technologies, the global view of GE and the surface view from a
panoramic node.

We in the VR community are struggling to get the world in general to
see the true brilliance of the VR panorama form.  A proper
representation on Google Earth would be a great place to put our work
out for people to discover, then to lead them from their original
"discovery" to another node, to another collection, etc.

Unfortunately I have not found the time to approach Google about
this. Anyone with a special insight, let us know.

Don