Sender:Aldo Hoeben
Date/Time:2010-Feb-12 11:13:00
Subject:Re: 360Cities.net

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: 360Cities.net Aldo Hoeben 2010-Feb-12 11:13:00
> Think of dragging the slider to control the view of *any* browser
> viewport ever invented or any document that needs to be repositioned.

Do you see sliders or scrollbars on either sides of a VR panorama?
Your analogy does not quite work.

The analogy that Google is using is Google Maps. Is dragging maps around
in google maps unintuitive? Now compare that to dragging a panorama. I
am not saying that is a perfect analogy (there is no such thing as a
perfect analogy), but Google took one model (google maps style dragging)
and stuck with it.

> Google has lowered the expectations of an entire planet.

Was it Google who did that, or was it Apple?

On a side-note: I personally like apple-style navigation better than
google-style. Because I've come to know apple-style before google-style.
I am not saying one is better than the other. Fortunately this whole
discussion is going away eventually, because computing will be more
physically interactive (ie: navigating by handling the device (think
Wii, iPhone, etc), as opposed to what we've come to know as "direct
manipulation" with a mouse which is in fact as indirect as indirect can
get.)