Sender:Pat Swovelin
Date/Time:2010-Feb-13 08:55:00
Subject:Re: 360Cities.net

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: 360Cities.net Pat Swovelin 2010-Feb-13 08:55:00
On 2/12/2010 7:27 AM, Caroling Geary's hamster got loose on the keyboard
and typed ...:

> Apple's GUI software for making panoramas and object movies,
> QuickTime Virtual Reality Authoring Studio, predated this argument,
> being out since at least 1997. When making an object movie, it gives
> the developer the choice of drag action right or left. There is no
> correct way.
>
> I thought about it a lot. Am I manipulating and turning the universe
> as an object? Or am I turning my camera/eyes/head or moving myself
> around in an infinite universe, in which I am an object/observer/
> small part? In a sense, pushing and pulling the universe around makes
> me feel bigger and more masterful, powerful.
>
> When I imagine being a Googler zoomed out in Google earth, spinning
> the planet around like a toy globe, I watch the sun, moon and stars
> follow my command. Then zooming into a street view and continuing to
> have the same control. I'm the center. I don't suddenly want to
> relinquish control just because I adjusted the view to my scale. But
> I never get immersed. There is no intimacy. I never really get
> there. I remain an observer, an outsider.

And that's the fundamental difference between the 2.  With GE or GM
you're on the outside looking in and you should manipulate the Earth in
front of you but in GSV you're on the inside looking out and you should
manipulate the view not the object.

The concepts are diametrically opposed to one another.  GE and GM are,
in effect, object movies and you manipulate the object because it's in
front of you but with VR or GSV you manipulate the view because you're
looking around from the point where you're standing.

> I have to say that both Aldo and Pat make good points. This dilemma
> really gets back to basic unsolved paradoxes in our human nature.
>
>> On 2/12/2010 3:13 AM, Aldo Hoeben's hamster got loose on the keyboard
>> and typed ...:

>>> Was it Google who did that, or was it Apple?
>>

> Caroling Geary, www.wholeo.net

Pat Swovelin
Cool Guy @ Large