Sender:bert
Date/Time:2010-Feb-13 23:35:00
Subject:Re: 360Cities.net

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: 360Cities.net bert 2010-Feb-13 23:35:00
Hi,

I think both ways of moving in a panorama have their pros and cons.

Google-style dragging is more direct, like walking. Very accurate, takes
a little effort.
Apple-style pointing is like driving a car: you put down the gas pedal,
and the speed slowly increases. It's effortless.

I like Google-style dragging for small devices with touch screens.
I like Apple-style pointing for big screen TV's with a remote control
device.
A mouse and a computer screen is somewhere in between.

I made a panorama viewer in which I implemented the drag method in
combination with inertia. The panorama keeps spinning after releasing
the stylus.
Moving around is as effortless as with Apple-style pointing. Anyone with
a Windows CE device can try it: panobender.atspace.com
<panobender.atspace.com>

Regards,

Bert

--- In #removed#, Eduardo Hutter <montreal360@...> wrote:

> I agree and your remark about the flight simulators are very well put
> and I'm often referring to video games when trying to talk people out
of
> the Big G drag.
>
> It's funny to see how everyone is amazed about how intuitive it is to
> interact with a game on a Wii console.  Now imagine you are using it
> navigate through panoramas: nobody would EVER think about dragging a
> pano with a Wii but instead, would just "turn their head" toward the
> side they would like to go or see. It's so simple that also amazes me
> how some people still think about it otherwise.
>
> cheers
>
> Eduardo
>
> * bryant_arnett wrote, On 13/02/2010 2:33 PM:
>
> >  [...]
> >
> >  Here's the Right way: Point my mouse and click, move my hand the
> >  direction I want to look. I can look anywhere, without hinderance.
> >  It's perfect. I feel happy!
> >
> >  Here's the Wrong way: Point my mouse and click. Drag a little bit.
> >  Unclick Pick up the mouse and move it, click and move the mouse a
> >  little, point and click, drag a little more, unclick, pick up
mouse,
> >  move mouse, drag, Oh wait I want to look 180 degrees behind me...
OK,
> >  click, drag, click drag, click drag unclick.... aarrgh!
> >
> >  This whole thing is as "Wrong" as when they gave us a "Reverse
yoke"
> >  option for the joystick in Flight Simulator. A whole generation of
PC