Sender:Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Date/Time:2010-Feb-12 11:09:00
Subject:Re: 360Cities.net

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: 360Cities.net Alexandre Duret-Lutz 2010-Feb-12 11:09:00
Hi,

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 11:49 AM, Pat Swovelin
<#removed#> wrote:
> Think of dragging the slider to control the view of *any* browser
> viewport ever invented or any document that needs to be repositioned.
> To go down the page you drag the slider down. To go up the page you
> drag the slider up. To move a pano right you drag right, to move left
> you drag left. Dragging in the opposite direction is *totally* unintuitive.

Actually that is exactly the way Google Earth (and Google Map, and
Google Street view) work: if you drag your pano right, the panorama will
be moved to the right (as if your head had turned to the left).  In all case
that is the document that is moving, and the viewer moves in the opposite
direction.

If you use Google Earth (and Google Map, and Google Street view) with
a tablet, and drag things around with your finger, the current behavior
makes even more sense.

Personally I find the behavior of most VR viewers (dragging left to move the
image to the right) completely unintuitive.   It's also not precise.
With google street view for instance, if I want some feature centered on the
screeen I will simply drag this feature to the center (the thing pointed by
my mouse moves with my mouse when I drag).  Doing this in a VR viewer
is not that easy.

Another way to put it is that my mouse is not a joystick.  (The VR viewer
behavior makes a lot of sense with a joystick.)
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz