Sender:Caroling Geary
Date/Time:2010-Feb-12 15:27:00
Subject:Re: 360Cities.net

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: 360Cities.net Caroling Geary 2010-Feb-12 15:27:00
Apple's GUI software for making panoramas and object movies,
QuickTime Virtual Reality Authoring Studio, predated this argument,
being out since at least 1997. When making an object movie, it gives
the developer the choice of drag action right or left. There is no
correct way.

I thought about it a lot. Am I manipulating and turning the universe
as an object? Or am I turning my camera/eyes/head or moving myself
around in an infinite universe, in which I am an object/observer/
small part? In a sense, pushing and pulling the universe around makes
me feel bigger and more masterful, powerful.

When I imagine being a Googler zoomed out in Google earth, spinning
the planet around like a toy globe, I watch the sun, moon and stars
follow my command. Then zooming into a street view and continuing to
have the same control. I'm the center. I don't suddenly want to
relinquish control just because I adjusted the view to my scale. But
I never get immersed. There is no intimacy.  I never really get
there. I remain an observer, an outsider.

I have to say that both Aldo and Pat make good points. This dilemma
really gets back to basic unsolved paradoxes in our human nature.

Caroling Geary, www.wholeo.net