Sender:Bostjan Burger
Date/Time:2008-Jun-16 19:41:00
Subject:Re: Where is Slovenia?

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Where is Slovenia? Bostjan Burger 2008-Jun-16 19:41:00
The problem was and is that the thinking was and is that Slovenia or Yugoslavia was on the "other side" of the iron courtain. Slovenian border - part of Yugoslavia, was with Austria and Italy most probably one of the most open borders in 70-80-ies in Europe. I am mountaineer, and in that time I had no problems at all to legally pass the border. Here is a set of panos from such a mountain pass between Slovenia and Austria: http://www.burger.si/KSA/JezerskoSedlo/seznam.html. You can notice border-markers, nowadays this markers were removed as are not needed any more. But we are inovative here (ha, ha...) after the last week incident with the Nuclear power plant in Slovenia I am sure that every one from Vienna knows where Slovenia is ... at least now...

  :) Bostjan

  Bernhard Vogl <#removed#> wrote:
          Hello Bostjan,

> But... citisens of US don't panic... it was similar research in Vienna
> (capital of Austria...that is Europe...70% of the asked people had not a
> clue where is Ljubljana (capital of Slovenia) and 25% with no idea where is
> Slovenia...

That's a really weird finding - especially where Slovenia is only ~1 hour away from Vienna.
I think, people still didn't get rid of the feeling that the world ends on the eastern border of Austria - you know, like Columbus and the earth as a disk ;-)
One shouldn't forget that the "iron curtain" was closed till late 80s and Slovenia as a country became independent in 1991...

Bernhard