Sender:johncharlesriley
Date/Time:2008-Jun-17 21:25:00
Subject:Re: Nuclear plant incidents [was: Where is Slovenia?]

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Nuclear plant incidents [was: Where is Slovenia?] johncharlesriley 2008-Jun-17 21:25:00
I agree with Willy that the incidents with nuclear power plants do tend to get
sensationalized in the media.  Perhaps this is exacerbated by the very strict incident-
reporting standards for the nuclear industry.  I am reminded of an incident that occurred
about 15 years ago at a nuclear plant near where I live.  This was a substantially more
serious incident, since it involved a non-trivial leak of tritium into the atmosphere.  I was
asked by the local television station to come on the news as an "expert", since I am a
nuclear physicist.  What I didn't know or think of was that the bastards had me blue-
screened and put this ridiculous pulsing, whirling "nuclear" thing behind me.  It looked like
something out of the dumbest sci-fi movie you have ever seen.  I felt like an ass when I
saw it and decided never to do anything like that again.  Fortunately, I didn't say anything
TOO stupid, though I was tempted to yell "RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!"  just for hell of it.  But I
didn't have tenure yet at the university....

John