Sender:Josh
Date/Time:2008-Jun-05 22:31:00
Subject:The WWP spirit (was: Re: ZKM globorama hassle)

wwp@yahoogroups.com: The WWP spirit (was: Re: ZKM globorama hassle) Josh 2008-Jun-05 22:31:00
--- In #removed#, "Carl von Einem" <einem@...> wrote:

> The World Wide Panorama is a non commercial project of the panorama
> community, a group of 900 artists (including you and me) who sometimes
> do panoramas as a hobby, sometimes for a living. We make no difference
> about that and we are proud of the non commercial, artistic nature
> that only could work in this lovely Berkeley "panorama pond" that we
> all bathe in.

Thanks. I knew that. And I repeat: WWP is fantastic, Don, Markus & Co
are doing a great job! I didn't want to discredit someone at all. If
it feels like that to some of you, I apologize!

> Now with the zkm copyright infringement we have a bad situation for
> this very community: if we are not able to make sure that the license
> that the wwp uses is respected by third parties none of us can be sure
> that he or she can fulfill the contracts with people and institutions
> involved in the creation of the panorama.

Okay, you are right, this could be a difficult point. But I thougt WWP
contributions are free* work - done especially for the WWP on the time
of the event. Are your contributed panos underlying any contracts?
Were they ordered by your clients?

(I mean free to choose what you shoot, not free of copyrights!)

> This could be the end of the
> wwp but I bet the community will only grow stronger. There is a
> large number of wwp-artists who are willing to actively defend our
> rights as a community. I am part of that group.
>
> You just don't realise that your fov (or point of view) is not
> panoramic (i.e. broad enough) but very selfish. It looks to me as
> though you follow your own short sighted path.
>
> Carl

Yes Carl, maybe my sight is narrow. Is yours broader while focusing on
the amount of an invoice and how to go to court? Very panoramic.

I tried to suggest a solution: not sending invoices but claiming an
apology. You could ask ZKM to put it on their site and you can put it
on the WWP site. What is 'selfish' about this suggestion?

And then you could start discussing how to solve such a problem for
the future. Otherwise you will spend more time in court than on
location shooting panos ;-)

Cheers
Josh