Sender:Yahoo Account
Date/Time:2009-Jun-23 23:44:00
Subject:Re: jpeg upload problems

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: jpeg upload problems Yahoo Account 2009-Jun-23 23:44:00
Hi,

to all: I'm sorry for the fluctuations on the contributions server - if you don't want to bother with the "beta" flash support just yet (or not at all), then feel free to use Quicktime like during the events before and simply disregard the "jpeg upload" part. It's grown past experimental, but it's only when a wide variety of people use it that I can get the feedback about what works and what looked better on paper than in reality.

Re: the "set top/bottom limit" - it's only helpful for partial spheres with black areas near the zenith and/or the nadir, since otherwise the flash player wouldn't know where to stop the up/down tilt.
For cylinders, according to the documentation I've found for PanoSalado, it's supposed to be automatic - the computer simply knows where the pixels end.

However, for cylindrical panoramas with large vertical field of view, treating them as spheres with black bars on top and bottom makes handling them far easier than cylinders, and that's what the "set limit" option is there for.

Re: the audio issue: No, it's not there yet, but I've already found an open-source flash-driven MP3 player, so that's another thing on my list. I guess for audio files, MP3 upload will be much preferred over MOV upload? The quicktime plugin handles MP3 sources just as easy as it does MOV files.

One thing high on my list is to teach Internet Explorer to reveal its installed plugins via javascript - it works in Mozilla-likes, but IE is different. I have the necessary code, it's just not online yet. Today was a pretty busy day away from the computer for me.

Once this works, I can turn the "Prefer Flash/Prefer Quicktime" link into something a little less irritating, and have the browser decide "in the background" - maybe just keeping a little "info" icon with a small pop-up where the "prefer flash/prefer quicktime" cookie configuration only shows up on demand.

-Markus