Sender:Lew Wurdeman
Date/Time:2008-Jun-20 15:34:00
Subject:Re: Circular fisheye 360 question

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Circular fisheye 360 question Lew Wurdeman 2008-Jun-20 15:34:00
Hiya,

I set a fixed ISO, 100

With my 0-360 lens your instructed to shoot in aperture priority and
you choose the greatest depth of field you can without regard to
shutter speed.  I also thought that with the large circular fisheye
that you also used the greatest depth of field possible, i.e. using
aperture priority?

The camera I am shooting with only allows bracketing in .3, .7, and
1.0 steps.  They wanted me to shoot +1 and -1 but if I shot +1, +2
and -1, and -2 they would have more to work with but it seemed they
preferred to get just 3 shots.  I would hate to take the time to
shoot five shots and only use 3.

I haven't shot in manual mode and haven't bracketed with the
fisheye.  That is what is new to me.

I have also been using auto white balance as you might move from a
room with incandescent to florescent to a sunlit room with lots of
daylight.  You would use one WB for all of those different situations
or would you change the WB in each room?  Due to the limited time to
shoot each tour the goal is to have a one-size fits all solution that
can be replicated in each situation.  Also, wouldn't you be better
off with AWB than shooting one room with incandescent and forgetting
to change it and shooting a room with lots of daylight?

Yes, I can set all things manually, but the preference is to have one
set of settings that I would use for all rooms of the house and even
exterior 360s.

If I was trying to shoot the most beautiful and technically accurate
pano ever shot by anyone I could take the time to strive for
perfection but at the amount being paid by the average VT client you
have to shoot and run.  You also want to have the most foolproof
settings possible and preferably ones that can be used in every setting.

My client said they couldn't download my files and although I was
able to they said they couldn't.  So they weren't able to look at
what I shot for them yesterday to determine if they will work for them.

I am hoping that the software that they are using for processing the
images has the ability to correct some issues and properly blend the
images.  If they make the process so difficult I will simply cancel
my contract with them as the price point is too low for shooting
sophisticated pictures.

The VT business is a real bottom of the barrel business and they
don't want to pay photographer rates.  The home stager, the people
who built the house, the contractor, the landscaper, all make more
per hour than the VT shooter.  Even the guy who mows the grass
probably makes more.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Lew

>I'm afraid I don't comprehend either.
>
>You set a fixed ISO.
>You set a fixed white balance.
>You go into Manual mode.
>You chose a exposure that's correct for the average of your pano. Clipped
>highlights or too dark shadows is ok, they'll hopefully be caught by the
>bracketing.
>You configure the exposure bracketing to correctly capture the highlights
>and shadows.
>You shoot.
>
>Can you not set ISO, WB, and exposure to be fixed at the same time?
>
>Does this help? Or do you have some more specific questions?
>
>I always do my HDR with -2,0,+2. But I finding that that isn't
>ways the best solution. I'm finding that sometimes I need more
>DR and I can imagine shots where nonsymmetrical bracketing would
>be best.
>
> > photographers. In the interim I thought maybe someone here would
> > have an answer on how to get one set of bracketed shots to match the
> > next set, and whether you would shoot 0, -1, and -2 vs. +1, 0, and -1?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Lew
> >
> > Lew Wurdeman
> > 360 Minnesota