Sender:Hans Nyberg
Date/Time:2006-Sep-16 14:59:00
Subject:Re: how about moving away from quicktime?

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: how about moving away from quicktime? Hans Nyberg 2006-Sep-16 14:59:00
On Sep 16, 2006, at 3:46 PM, Bostjan Burger wrote:

> But... today we download 40 Mb faster than 100 Kb 10 years ago ?
> Anyway... yes 40 Mb is quite a huge dowload just for 'plug-in'...
>
> ;) Bostjan
>
> jeffrey <#removed#> wrote:
> Another reason why quicktime is crap.
> I refuse to suggest to my viewers that they download 40mb itunes, so I
> send them to the 12mb 6.5 standalone. Whatever.

Both the ITunes version and the Standalone installer are offered at
the standard download site today.
It is very clearly indicated and you can just choose.
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/win.html
The standalone is 18.8 mb

Thats not different than JAVA or  Adobe Reader (20.3mb)  which almost
everyone uses and downloads.
All people who are on the net today downloads software and files in
sizes much larger.

Downloading a movie is  500 mb.

Software updates are often 200 mb

It is not relevant at all to complain about the size of Quicktime or
any other software or plugin.

Hans

Hans Nyberg
commercial photographer