Sender:rogerhoward
Date/Time:2006-Sep-16 18:05:00
Subject:Re: how about moving away from quicktime?

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: how about moving away from quicktime? rogerhoward 2006-Sep-16 18:05:00
On Sep 16, 2006, at 3:57 AM, jeffrey wrote:

> Another reason why quicktime is crap.
> I refuse to suggest to my viewers that they download 40mb itunes, so I
> send them to the 12mb 6.5 standalone. Whatever.

I'm so sick of hearing this. Very few people need to be linked to the
standalone installer, let alone the installer that includes iTunes:

1) Mac users already have Quicktime and will get updates
automatically through Software Update, which doesn't force iTunes
2) Windows users using IE (90% or more) need only be sent to a page
with the ActiveX control; if they don't have Quicktime they'll get
the auto-installer, which also doesn't include iTunes

For the vast majority of users they *don't* need to download iTunes,
nor are they forced to. Most Windows users get Quicktime either from
an ActiveX install (as above) or because it's bundled. There's little
reason to even send them to the Quicktime page - this seems to be a
general misunderstandinig by Mac users who aren't used to ActiveX-
based installs.

> Anyway. Why can't the WWP use a sniffer like lots of other sites, that
> plays deval, java, or spi-V ?

This has been addressed many times by Landis and Don.

> Quicktime has crossed the line from plain Crap to something
> Dangerous!!!

Pure BS.