Sender:Yuval Levy
Date/Time:2008-May-24 01:37:00
Subject:Re: Globorama

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Globorama Yuval Levy 2008-May-24 01:37:00
Willy Kaemena wrote:
> If I would have the mind of many US citizen and lawyers I
> would sue them. Assuming that they downloaded the file for their
> official use.

First: this has nothing to do with citizenship or lawyers. It has to do
with your right as the creator of intellectual property. Maybe you don't
care about people stealing from you, but I do.

Note that Creative Common is a US born initiative that brings
intellectual property to the next level - one which is more tolerant of
different usage. And the GPL, which is even more tolerant, is also a US
born initiative.

Disclaimer: I am not American and have never lived there, but I hate to
see a country or a people ostracized for what is your own ignorance, Willy.

Even if they did not technically download the file to their machines -
according to the *German* copyright law, showing in public a website is
a broadcast and as such not permitted when work is under an "all rights
reserved" policy.

With a more tolerant policy (e.g. one of the many CC licenses) it is
possible to make this kind of use perfectly legal, but it is the
author's choice, not the broadcaster or the user's choice.

Yuv