Sender:danheimsothdotcom
Date/Time:2006-Jul-17 11:50:00
Subject:Re: new promotional possibility - Fullscreen QTVR site

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: new promotional possibility - Fullscreen QTVR site danheimsothdotcom 2006-Jul-17 11:50:00
--- In #removed#, "G. Donald Bain" <dbain@...> wrote:

> Please let me know what you think

I think that I would not object to including my contributions in
that new format, but I do have a few concerns.

I don't really care for the use of equirectangular thumbnails.  I
usually put some effort into choosing the default view of my
entries, sort of "putting my best foot forward" in a way, and I
appreciate that the WWP site makes use of that default view for
thumbs.

I don't really like the idea that some participants will opt-out of
this new format and leave it as just a subset of the full event, but
I don't see that as a show stopper for me.

My biggest concern is the overall format.  If this was proposed as a
replacement format for the WWP I would vote no.  The site has plenty
of eye candy, but none of the usabiliy that an event as big as WWP
needs.  If I were to see a WWP event only through this interface it
would appear to me as a very disorganized large database, and I
might browse a few entries but would probably not return.  Seen
through the WWP interface the event has much better usability.  I
can browse for awhile, leave, return and easily pick up from where I
left off, or easily re-find something I want to see again.  It looks
like the majority of events or sites listed on the Fullscreen site
have only a handfull of panos, and the Fullscreen site interface may
be fine for those smaller databases.  But I would be concerned that
the Fullscreen site might be many people's first exposure to WWP,
and it could easily become their last if they don't happen to make
it to the WWP main site but only follow links to individual panos.
Would it be possible to somehow more strongly direct viewers to the
main WWP site, or at least try to describe the benefits that the WWP
site would have for viewing the event?