Sender:Thomas Rist
Date/Time:2006-Jul-17 18:43:00
Subject:Re: new promotional possibility - Fullscreen QTVR site

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: new promotional possibility - Fullscreen QTVR site Thomas Rist 2006-Jul-17 18:43:00
Don,

>I personally don't like this sort of thumbnail, but it is the
>standard for the FullscreenQTVR site.

I like the thumbnails on the WWP much more.
This kind of thumbs look acceptable for cylindric panos but cut off for
most of the spherical ones.
Some are, in my opinion, totally unacceptable. Martin Frechs
"Luftbr?cke" of the "Bridges" event for example.
But ... If  it is a standard, we only can accept it.
As I understand it, our benefit will be a better placement on search
engines. - For the original individual WWP sides!

>This is in no way a substitute for the WWP site. We have no plans for
>major redesign of the WWP site - we are happy with it the way it is.
>Of course there are details we can add, and some improvements will be
>made, but it is a very logical and usable site design and has been
>crafted to suit the needs of both our participants and our viewers.

I like the design of the whole WWP site.
But, without criticism, I would like to see changes "under the hood".
Mainly a coding, more according to the W3C guidelines.
This would improve the accessibility.

>Fullscreen QTVR is a completely separate venture, part of VRWay,
>founded by Marco Trezzini and Hans Nyberg to promote fullscreen QTVR.
>It is easy to see why they are anxious to include the WWP - the
>largest collaboration of VR producers and one of the largest
>collections of fullscreen VR's. I think this sort of cooperation and
>mutual promotion is good for everyone.
>
>There are weaknesses in the Fullscreen QTVR site design - the
>navigation in particular is terrible. Try finding your own panorama
>on the test site - an exercise in frustration. But this is something
>that can be improved later.

When will this be improved and in which way?
Who decides about the order of the entrys?
Which entry is placed on the first link page of each event; which is
placed solely on the 19th, like Kevin Kratztkes "Wisconsin Sunset"  in
"Best of 2005"?
The linking on the WWP is more fair to the individual photographer.

>Similarly, we want viewers on Fullscreen QTVR to gravitate over to
>the WWP site, but naturally VRWay wants to keep them on their site. A
>balance needs to be struck.
>
>The question right now is the principle involved - do we want to
>allow thumbnails of the WWP to be used on another site

I'm for allowing thumbnails. In my opinion, the profit is on our site.
If possible, I would prefer thumbnails who respect the initial view of
the panoramas (like the WWP thumbnails).

>- will it help
>us or hurt us?

I believe, it help us more than hurts us.

>Are there changes or additional requirements we will
>need to ask for before approval?

As "the navigation in particular is terrible", could it be made random?
I mean, every visit of an WWP event on Fullscreen VR should create a new
order of the entries.

Thomas Rist

#removed#